Monday, August 15, 2011

monday monday: ice queen











In the 3 years and 4 months that I've lived in ChCh it snowed approximately two times and was gone by the next day. This month we have had two Antarctic blasts of cold resulting in two snowstorms. This is the most snow I've seen for ages. I come from Alabama, a semi-tropical state with 100% humidity almost year round...it rarely snows. And just the whole snowing/winter in August is hard to get your head around.

So when I woke up a couple of weeks ago and saw a good covering of snow my inner child was all, "hell yeah no work!" Which was short lived as my bitch manager was able to make it from her house to work so we were expected to show up. Knowing her and her crazy obsession for working she probably set off at 3am just to make it there. This morning I woke up, saw the snow and was all, "NOOOOOOO!!!!! I HAVE A JOB INTERVIEW TODAY THAT I DO NOT WANT TO MISS!!!!!" I did miss it, well it was rescheduled for tomorrow depending on the weather. Turned out to be quite a nice day as work was closed for the day, which meant I had the whole day to enjoy the snow.

What I didn't realise was that J is a sadistic son of a bitch. He turns into a 5 year old on acid when there is snow on the ground, and in his excited state suggested we go for a walk. That was fine, we could go to the pocket park around the block, have a snow ball fight, build a snow man. No. We ended up trudging through snow and slush for what seemed like days to go to Hagley Park, the big park in the middle of the city. Kinda like ChCh's version of Central Park, except shittier and lacking in the cool NYC vibe.

It was fun, and I'm glad we went, but the pulled muscle in my right leg and the sore feet from my horrible wellies are a reminder that I should have said no to the snow trek and just threw a snow ball at his face. I did get some good pics, not as many as I would have liked, but a touchscreen phone in a snowstorm is not the greatest thing ever. Not only did it get covered in snow every time I took it out, I had to take off my gloves every time I wanted to use it.

You can't tell from the picture of me but I am wearing layers upon layers. Two sweaters, two pairs of gloves, two pairs of socks, a pair of leggings, skinny jeans, winter coat, scarf, baggy beanie, and really cute yet very uncomfortable croc embossed wellies. Despite the layers I was still freezing.

We're expected to get another 5cm in the next 24 hours, and the boys is hoping beyond hope for another snow day. It's quite adorable.

Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend and those in the Northern Hemisphere enjoy summer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment